Home Entertainment What have I done? Desmond Elliot cries out over security withdrawal

What have I done? Desmond Elliot cries out over security withdrawal

Desmond Elliot

Actor-turned-politician Desmond Elliot has alleged intimidation, coercion and withdrawal of his security aides ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC) direct primaries in Surulere.

In a video posted on his X handle on Sunday, the lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency at the Lagos State House of Assembly claimed that some party loyalists were being targeted because of their support for him.

Desmond appealed to party leaders to ensure a peaceful and transparent primary election in the constituency scheduled for May 20.

“I want to appreciate the President of this great country and the party leadership for allowing direct primaries to be held across the country. We say thank you so much because this is meant to test the popularity of all the aspirants across the board,” he said.

The lawmaker, however, alleged that some individuals were attempting to manipulate the process through intimidation and pressure on party members.

“I want to bring to your notice that intimidation, coercion, arm-twisting and forcing people to follow their own candidate is what exists today in Surulere,” Elliot stated.

He further alleged that some APC members were threatened with exclusion from empowerment opportunities if they failed to support a preferred aspirant.

“Please, this is not done and should not be done. We are all members of the same party,” he said.

Desmond also claimed that some local government workers allegedly lost their jobs because of their political association with him.

“We’ve been intimidated so much that a lot of people from the local government have been fired because they follow me. That should not be allowed,” he alleged.

The Surulere lawmaker further accused local government authorities of openly backing another aspirant ahead of the primaries.

“It is bad enough that the local government already took a side months ago to support a particular aspirant. I didn’t say anything,” he added.

Raising concerns over his safety, Desmond disclosed that his security personnel had allegedly been withdrawn without explanation.

“My security personnel were taken away from me yesterday for reasons best known to them. Now I am left alone to myself. What have I done?” he queried.

He also warned against attempts to instigate violence during the primaries, alleging that there were plans to cause unrest in the area.

“They want to bring people from outside and from within to cause mayhem and to cause trouble. Please allow for a free, fair election on the 20th of May, 2026,” he said.

The actor called on party leaders to look into the allegations and urged his supporters not to be intimidated ahead of the exercise.

“To all you lovers of Desmond Olusola Elliott, who believe in accessibility and fair play, do not be intimidated. Come out on that day because there will be maximum security guaranteed from the party,” he said.

The latest development comes days after Desmond publicly apologised to Femi Gbajabiamila over political tensions linked to the Lagos State House of Assembly crisis.

During an appearance on TVC’s Your View, Desmond said he might have offended the former Speaker of the House of Representatives during political disagreements.

Gbajabiamila had earlier claimed that he nearly lost his position as Chief of Staff to President Bola Tinubu because of allegations linking Elliot to the leadership crisis in the Lagos Assembly involving Speaker Mudashiru Obasa.

Reacting to the controversy, Elliot apologised publicly, saying: “To err is human, to forgive is divine. So I’m sorry, my daddy, if I’ve offended you in any way.”