Minister of Youths and Sport Development Sunday Dare has joined voices condemning the recurring brutality of the Nigeria Police Force’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad after video of the shooting of a young man in front of a hotel in Ughelli, Delta State went viral on Saturday.
The video showed how there was confusion around Wetland Hotel in Ughelli where the policemen allegedly killed the victim and escaped with his vehicle – a white Lexus Sport Utility Vehicle.
Global rights group Amnesty International, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and former Senate President Bukola Saraki have also condemned the act and called for the reform of SARS.
Mr Dare said the Federal Government would look into the reports of harassment of Nigerians by SARS.
In a statement issued on Saturday by his special assistant John Joshua-Akanji, Dare said he had been monitoring reports of the attacks by SARS, adding that relevant government agencies will investigate the incidents.
“The minister of youth and sports development, who has also been monitoring the reports of alleged SARS harassment and attacks, has called for immediate investigations that will unravel the truth,” he said.