Home News Soludo clears air on viral burial law claims in Anambra

Soludo clears air on viral burial law claims in Anambra

Charles Soludo

Governor Charles Soludo’s administration has dismissed reports claiming that a new burial law banning the use of cows and goats during condolence visits has been introduced in Anambra State.

The clarification was made in a statement issued by the state commissioner for information Law Mefor on Tuesday.

According to Mr Mefor, the reports circulating on social media and published by some media organisations were false and misleading.

He said no new burial law had been enacted by the Soludo administration, adding that the existing burial law in the state remained the one signed in 2019 by former governor Willie Obiano.

“The claims being circulated are not contained in any section of the 2019 Anambra Burial Law. The assertion that cows and goats are banned at condolence visits is a fabrication designed to mislead the public and incite unnecessary outrage,” the statement read.

Mefor criticised media organisations that published the reports without verification, saying the development contributed to the spread of misinformation.

“It is disappointing and irresponsible that established media houses would abandon basic verification and become conduits for viral fake news,” he said.

The commissioner added that journalists should uphold accuracy, balance and proper verification before publication.

He also urged members of the public to disregard the reports and rely on official government channels for information on state policies.

“We call on media organisations to uphold professional standards and desist from publishing unverified reports that can cause public disaffection,” the statement added.