Home News Police begin disciplinary action against officer who threatened people filming him

Police begin disciplinary action against officer who threatened people filming him

Police officer Newton Isokpehi

Nigeria Police Force has commenced disciplinary action against Newton Isokpehi, the officer seen in a viral video threatening to kill anyone who filmed him while on duty.

In the video, Officer Isokpehi also threatened to shoot passengers inside a bus if anyone in the vehicle recorded him during an operation.

The officer, who complained about conditions within the force, said he had spent 26 years in service.

“Any day I’m on duty as an officer while holding my rifle, let someone video me,” he said in the clip. “I will kill anyone who films me on duty.”

In a statement issued on Thursday, Force spokesperson Anthony Placid said Isokpehi had been identified and summoned to the Anambra State Police Command headquarters where disciplinary procedures had started.

Placid said the conduct of the officer was against the standards and code of conduct of the police force.

“The force wishes to state unequivocally that the conduct and utterances exhibited in the video are unacceptable, unprofessional, and inconsistent with the ethics, standards, and code of conduct of the Nigeria Police Force,” the statement said.

He added that the police do not tolerate threats, intimidation or abuse of office by its personnel.

According to the statement, the Inspector-General of Police Tunji Disu has repeatedly stated that members of the public have the right to record police officers carrying out their duties, provided such recordings do not obstruct operations or compromise safety.

“The force further reiterates that recording police activities remains a legitimate tool for public accountability and transparency and should not, in itself, attract harassment or intimidation from police personnel while discharging their duties,” Placid said.

The police said the outcome of the disciplinary process would be made public later.

The development came after the officer posted another video apologising to Nigerians, saying his earlier comments were made out of frustration.