A spokesman of the All Progressives Congress’ (APC) presidential candidate, Bola Tinubu, has debunked a report by an online newspaper that Tinubu recently applied for a US visa and was denied.
Tinubu’s media adviser Tunde Rahman said the APC leader has a two-year valid visa that was renewed last November, adding that two years is the maximum any Nigerian can get.
He said: “It’s a ridiculous post by a non-existent news online. You know one can’t really be taking issues with a non-existent platform. The fake story was attributed to Nigerian Concord newspaper. The Concord as you know closed shop many years ago!”
According to WesternPost, the current visa was issued on November 18, 2021 and will expire November 15, 2023.
The newspaper further said from the US visa bromide available to it, Tinubu’s type B1/B2 visa carries control number:20213207840001.
Last week, the US Ambassador to Nigeria, Mary Leonard, visited Tinubu at the APC presidential campaign office in Abuja. She was accompanied on the visit by US political counselor, Rolf Olson.
Leonard is reported to have joked during the visit, “so the two-year visa you received last November has suddenly expired.”