Inspector-general of police Usman Baba says there is no plan whatsoever to bring back the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
The controversial police unit was scrapped last year following protest against its activities.
Reacting to rumour that the police were planning to reinstate the group, Force spokesman Frank Mba said such news was false.
“The Force wishes to emphasise that there is no plan whatsoever to bring back the disbanded SARS. SARS is gone for good and will not resurrect under any guise whatsoever,” he said in a statement on Thursday.
Mr Mba said that the Nigeria Police had re-organised the operational structure of the squad to fill the vacuum created by its disbandment, as the leadership of the police remained focused on efforts at deepening reforms within it.
Mba said the idea was to bequeath Nigerians a Police Force that would be more effective, efficient, technology driven, humane and rule of law compliant.