Former Anambra State governor Peter Obi has said the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) has not officially named him its presidential candidate for the 2027 general election.
Mr Obi, according to a statement signed by Ibrahim Umar, spokesperson of the Peter Obi Media Reach (POMR), spoke after completing the party’s screening process in Abuja on Tuesday.
Reacting to reports that he was the sole presidential candidate, the former Labour Party presidential candidate said, “I don’t know if anyone else has submitted an application. Until the party officially names me as the only candidate, that remains to be seen.”
The statement by Umar also quoted the former governor as saying that national unity and security would be among his priorities if elected president.
“We want mothers to feel safe when their children head to school or work. We envision a Nigeria where travel throughout the country can be done without fear. Many Nigerians currently go to sleep uncertain about their next meal, and this situation must be transformed,” he said.
Obi also stressed the need to fight corruption and ensure public resources are used for the benefit of citizens.
“Politicians are too focused on upcoming elections while the citizens are suffering. This has to change,” he added.
Chairman of the NDC national screening committee Sam Egwu announced Obi’s clearance to contest the party’s primary election in a video shared on the party’s official X account on Wednesday.
Egwu said the committee was satisfied that Obi met all constitutional and statutory requirements to contest for the presidency.
“This is to certify that, following the screening of His Excellency Peter Obi by the National Screening Committee of the Nigeria Democratic Congress, and having satisfied ourselves that he has complied with all the requirements of the constitution of the party, the Electoral Act, and the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended), dealing with eligibility to contest the presidential election, and having provided satisfactory answers to all questions put to him by members of the committee, he is hereby cleared to contest in the presidential primaries of the party for the 2027 presidential election on dates to be announced by the party,” Egwu stated.
Writing on his X account on Wednesday, Obi said the screening lasted more than two and a half hours, during which members of the committee examined his credentials and questioned him on his plans for the country.
“Yesterday, May 19, in Abuja, I attended the presidential screening organised by our party, which took over two and a half hours. They carefully reviewed all my documents, including my degree certificates, NYSC credentials, and age declarations.
“During the process, I also addressed questions regarding my vision for a new Nigeria and the type of leadership our nation urgently needs right now.
“Following this, I was cleared and received the presidential nomination form I had previously paid for,” he said.
Obi also commended the screening committee and the party leadership for the conduct of the exercise.
“I would like to commend the screening committee, led by former governor Sam Egwu, for their thorough and professional approach. Additionally, I appreciate our party’s leadership for upholding the democratic process,” he added.









