Family paid ransom for daughter of broadcaster killed in Ikorodu – Report

The family of Fareeda, the two-year-old girl kidnapped after her mother was killed during a robbery operation at Asolo Bus Stop along Ikorodu Road on Friday, paid an undisclosed ransom to secure her release, PUNCH has reported.

Fareeda’s broadcaster and actress mother, Aisha Thelma Alli-Balogun Abiose, and two others were killed when the bandits struck.

ALSO READ: Friends mourn broadcaster killed in Ikorodu robbery

The little girl and several others, including her mother’s pregnant friend, were taken away by the assailants who escaped through the waterways.

Early reports claim the kidnappers contacted Fareeda’s family and demanded a N10million ransom.

Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, had called on relatives of those kidnapped to assist in the rescue mission and the arrest of the suspects.

“We gathered that two lives were lost while militants were firing and that some persons were kidnapped. No family member of those involved has shown up. The relatives of the victims should report at the nearest police station. It is when we have information about the victims that we can act more decisively,” Owoseni said.

ALSO READ: Daughter of broadcaster killed in Ikorodu robbery found

PUNCH, however, quoted a source close to the family as assaying was released after negotiation.

“The father negotiated with the kidnappers and the baby was released. But he does not want to say anything about the incident for now. The police were not instrumental to the release of the girl,” he said.

A friend of the girl’s father, Segun Fajol, also told the paper on Tuesday that Fareeda regained her freedom at about 8pm on Monday and that she was in good condition.

“Fareeda has been reunited with the family and she is very fine. The father does not want further publicity about the situation,” Fajol said.

The girl’s father, Ajibolah Yusuph Abiose, is yet to comment publicly on the matter.

Lagos Police Public Relations Officer, Dolapo Badmos, did not respond to a text message sent to her on Tuesday but PUNCH said she confirmed that Fareeda had regained her freedom.