Thirty persons have been reported dead in the attack on the convoy of Borno State Governor Babagana Zulum by Boko Haram fighters, AFP reports Saturday.
Qed.ng had earlier reported that about 15 security operatives died in the attack which occurred between Monguno and Baga on Friday.
However, two sources told AFP the number of fatalities from the attack had doubled as more bodies were found and now included 12 policemen, five soldiers, four members of a government-backed militia and nine civilians.
“The tally has increased to 30 as many bodies were picked in the surrounding areas after the attack,” a source was quoted saying.
The source further said many persons were left injured in the attack.
The earlier count had shown that eight policemen, three soldiers and four civilian joint task force operatives were killed, a security source said.
Zulum had left Maiduguri for Baga to prepare for the planned return of internally displaced persons from Maiduguri to the camps in Baga, a government source told PUNCH.
A senior police officer who did not want his name mentioned also said he learnt of the attack which left security operatives dead.
Zulum’s convoy had recently come under attack by Boko Haram fighters in Baga, forcing the governor and his aides to crawl to safety.