In a bid to check banditry in Kaduna, the state government has asked telecommunications firms to suspend their services from September 30.
Commissioner for internal security and home affairs Samuel Aruwan announced the measures during a press briefing on Wednesday.
Zamfara and Sokoto had taken similar steps to curb insecurity.
Mr Aruwan said the process for shutdown of telecom services in parts of the state identified by security agencies as requiring such measures have begun.
“You will recall that Governor Nasir El-Rufai announced in a media chat yesterday (28th September 2021) that the state government has formally requested the Federal Government to enforce the shutdown of telecom services in parts of the state identified by security agencies as requiring such measures,” he said.
“The relevant federal agencies have today informed the Kaduna State Government that the processes for telecoms shutdown in parts of the state have commenced.”
The state government had earlier said it was not considering shutting down telecoms services.
Mr Aruwan said other security measures earlier announced by the state government remain in place and urged the residents to comply with the directives.
He also said the use of motorcycles for transport services has also been suspended across the state. Bandits mainly use motorcycles for their operations.
Aruwan noted that tricycle operators are allowed to operate only from 6am to 7pm.