Wanted kingpin, Ibori, killed by soldiers

Securitymen on patrol in Ikorodu, Lagos

Wanted militant leader, Ossy Ibori, linked to a series of kidnapping in Ikorodu and Epe areas of Lagos, has been killed by soldiers, authorities have announced.

Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni, told newsmen on Monday that the suspect was killed by soldiers at Ajakpa area of Ondo State.

Mr Owoseni said Ibori was killed at about 3.00am on Monday during an arrest exercise by security forces

He said that the gang members retreated to their base in Ajakpa because they could no longer lay claim to the creeks in Isawo area of Ikorodu.

“At about 3.00am today, soldiers posted to dislodge the militants wreaking havoc in some parts of Lagos engaged the criminals in a shootout at Ajakpa, during which the suspected leader known as Ossy was killed.

“Efforts are ongoing to arrest the other gang members,” Owoseni said.

In a statement, Maj. Abubakar Abdullahi, Coordinator, Joint Media Campaign Centre, said that men of Operation DELTA SAFE carried out the killing.

According to Abdullahi, the squad repelled an attack in Ajakpa in the creeks of southern Ondo State on Sunday night.

He said that the attack was led by the notorious gang leader, Ossy Ibori, who had a hideout at Ajakpa, Ilaje Ese-Odo Local Government Area of Ondo State.

“The leader was gunned down during the gun duel along with some of his gang members. His body was identified by some of the locals in the area.

“Search for other criminals who jumped into the water with gunshot wounds is ongoing. The troops recovered one AK 47 rifle and four magazines,” he said.

Ibori’s gang is believed to have killed an army captain and two policemen in Ikorodu, Lagos in April.

The gang was also blamed for the abduction of students and staff of a secondary school in Ikorodu area.

“The criminals, in addition, carried out several attacks at Ilaje Ese-Odo Community at Ajakpa, Safarogbo and Balowo areas,” Abdullahi said.

Abdullahi added that the need to flush the criminals out from their hideout became necessary to ensure peace and security in Ondo State.

“Sadly, in the process, one gallant soldier paid the supreme price while three others sustained gunshot wounds.

“They have since been moved to a military hospital for proper medical attention.

“While the operation is ongoing, let me appeal to law-abiding residents of the affected communities to remain calm, vigilant and to support our troops with valuable information on whereabouts of other criminals,” he said.