Shooting Stars Football Club (3SC) has sacked 20 out of the 40 players on its payroll.
A statement by the Media Officer of the Team, Jubril Arowolo, on Monday explained that the decision was taken after evaluating the contributions and performances of every player in the team that got relegated from the Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) last season.
The players that survived the sack, according to Mr Arowolo, include Abubakar Adamu, Michael Uweru, Kayode Bankole, Seun Akinyemi, Alaba Osawe, Omololu Waheed, Opeyemi Adetoyi, Oginni Olatubosun, Ayobami Abiodun Jnr, Shile Ibrahim, Sunday Faleye, Jide Apena, Abayomi Adebayo and Rafiu Wasiu.
Others are Shittu Taiwo, Isiaq Rafiu, Ajani Ibrahim, Kunle Olukokun, Bode Daniel and Sherrif Sanda.
The remaining 20 players have been placed on transfer and would not be part of the team when the new season commences.
Arowolo said that some new players will be added to the retained squad after a thorough screening that will be conducted to fill all the necessary positions in the team.
The media officer, however, added that the club hierarchy has accepted the challenge of playing in the National League next season and will do everything possible to regain promotion back to the NPFL cadre the shortest period.
Arowolo said that the evaluation of the team continues while assuring that fans would see better and improved squad next season.
Executive Chairman Gbolagade Busari, had hinted in a statement last month that major decisions at improving the fortunes of the club will be made in a matter of weeks, arguing that the club’s poor performance was not due to lack of funding.
He said that both the players and the technical crew of the relegated club are going to be evaluated by the management with proper restructuring in the pipelines.
This is the second time the Ibadan club will be relegated in four years.