Chile midfielder, Arturo Vidal, has called time on his international career.
The 30-year-old took the decision after his country failed to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
Vidal thus becomes the second Bayern Munich player to quit national team football in less than 24 hours; following the footstep of Arjen Robben.
He made his international debut in February 2007 and went on make 95 appearances for his country, scoring 23 goals in the process.
But he said his “soul had been crushed” by Chile’s 3-0 defeat to Brazil on Tuesday which saw them finish sixth in CONMEBOL qualifying behind Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Colombia and Peru – meaning they missed out on an intercontinental play-off against New Zealand on goal difference.
Vidal himself missed the match through suspension but said in a statement on Twitter: “Thank you for everything, lads, for all these years together. Thank you for teaching me and showing the country that, with effort and hard work, anything is possible in life.”
Gracias por todo muchachos!!?? pic.twitter.com/I9s9OhTK7r
— Arturo Vidal (@kingarturo23) October 11, 2017
The midfielder had already announced in September that he would retire from international duty following the 2018 World Cup – should Chile qualify. “The past ten years have been tough and the time has come to take a break,” he said at the time.
Vidal, who joined German champions Bayern from Juventus in 2015, was part of the Chile side which was knocked out by Brazil at the last-16 stage of both of the last two World Cups.
But, along with Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez and Bayer Leverkusen’s Charles Aranguiz, he was also a key player in a golden generation of Chilean talent which won back-to-back Copa America titles in 2015 and 2016.
Vidal also led his country in the Confederations Cup in Russia this summer, where they were beaten 1-0 in the final by world champions Germany.
Chile’s Argentinean manager Juan Antonio Pizzi also stepped down after Tuesday’s defeat.