The Barcelona striker’s appeal against Fifa’s four-month ban from all football-related activity for his bite on Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup was upheld this afternoon – but the Uruguayan has been cleared to train with his new club and play friendly matches.
A full explanation of the ruling will not be published until a later date.
Suarez, who left Liverpool for the Nou Camp last month in a £75million deal, will remain suspended from club football until late October, which sees him miss eight La Liga matches and three Champions League group games, but Barca will be relieved he can now train with his new team-mates and put himself in contention to make his debut against Real Madrid.
Barcelona announced in a statement that “He will join the first team’s training session, scheduled for Friday.
“The public presentation of Suarez as a new Barcelona player will be held on Monday at the Camp Nou.”
It is not known if he will play in Monday’s game with Mexico’s Club Leon.
He is however available for Uruguay’s friendlies against Japan and South Korea in September and Saudi Arabia the following month.
Suarez’s lawyers argued that Fifa’s decision to suspend him from all football-related activity was too strong a punishment.
Switzerland-based Cas – an independent body whose rulings are accepted by most sporting organisations – said: “The sanctions imposed on the player by Fifa have been generally confirmed.”
But it said preventing Suarez from taking part in any football activity was “excessive”, as not allowing him to train would have an impact on the player after the suspension had ended.
World players’ union Fifpro said it was “disappointed that the court had decided not to strongly diminish the sanctions” and “remain of the view they are disproportionate in relation to his violation of the Fifa disciplinary code”.
It added: “We regret Cas not deciding to reduce the length of Suarez’s bans in exchange for an obligation for him to receive treatment.”