Minister of State, Labour and Employment Festus Keyamo has said that the Nigeria Police Force’s Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) did not kill anyone in Delta State as alleged on social media.
Mr Keyamo who was born in Ughelli, Delta State stated this in a series of tweets on Sunday following allegations SARS officials shot a man in front of a hotel in Ughelli.
The minister said he spoke with the Delta police commissioner, area commander in Ughelli and brother of the alleged victim who confirmed nobody died.
He wrote: “All of them said the victim is alive & receiving treatment. Whilst I totally condemn the extra-judicial killings by SARS & other Police outfits against defenseless citizens and call for comprehensive reforms and overhaul of the system, some facts of this case are as follows:
“The outfit involved in this case is called Operation Delta Safe and not SARS (b) the victim was not shot as confirmed by his brother, but fell out of the Police vehicle when being taken to the station after arrest. The brother said he was pushed; the Police said he jumped.
“This is a picture of the victim in hospital this morning, showing injuries from the fall (c) the Police stopped to pick him up after the fall, but an angry mob had already gathered and the Police fled and left the victim (d) A Good Samaritan picked him & took him to hospital.”
Keyamo appealed to the youths in Ughelli not to resort to violence.