Okorocha’s son-in-law to be flown abroad over ‘gunshot’ wound

Rochas Okorocha

Uzor Anwuka son-in-law of former Imo State governor Senator Rochas Okorocha says he will seeking medical attention abroad after being reportedly shot on February 21.

Uzor, an American trained medical doctor, was reportedly shot on the left leg when hoodlums attacked Okorocha during an attempt to unseal the Royal Spring Palm Estate seized by the Uzodimma administration.

Speaking when Okorocha visited him at the hospital, Uzor said he had undergone three surgeries without any improvement.

According to him: “On the day of the incident my father-in-law called me that he was in Owerri to see his seized property and I drove down their to see him.

“On getting there, I saw a crowd of thugs. They had guns, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons, they started harassing everyone including my father-in-law (Okorocha).

“It was when they were asked to round us up that they started shooting. I made to climb the fence but I was hit by bullet and I fell into the bush and I was there for several hours before I was rescued and brought to the hospital.

“I have been in this hospital for six days and my leg have been operated three times but it is not getting better. So I will be going out to get a better treatment.”

Okorocha said the February 21 incident was an assassination attempt.

“What I am concerned now is about is life, I thank God that he is alive but the report I am getting from the hospital is not quite pleasing regarding the three surgeries so far conducted since his arrival and we are hoping that he should be flown out of the country immediately for further examination.

“It is really sad, this is an assasination attempt, but I thank God he is alive. We’ve concluded arrangements with the hospital to move him out because they are suggesting that he may need some transplant, to cut some part, but we are hoping it will get better,” he said.

The ex-governor was arrested on that fateful day but later released on health grounds. However, some of his aides were arraigned the following day and granted bail.