The younger brother of leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra Nnamdi Kanu has suspended the sit-at-home order given by the group for observation every Monday in the south-east.
Kanunta Kanu’s announcement came hours after the IPOB had insisted the protest would commence on August 9 to prevail on the Federal Government to release Mr Kanu who is currently in detention for treasonable felony.
In a release on Sunday, Kanunta said the planned sit-at-home directive had been suspended to allow the students in the geopolitical zone to participate in the National Examination Council.
He said a new date for the exercise would be announced later.
Kanunta said the group arrived at the decision after listening to pleas from well-meaning individuals and groups within and outside the south-east.
He said, “IPOB has listened to pleas from well-meaning individuals and groups within and outside Biafra land that we consider the fate of our children who will be involved in the NECO Exam and based on that, we decided to shift grounds over the sit-at-home order.
“IPOB on its part, having realized the academic deprivation the already marginalized Biafra students who entered for this year’s NECO would suffer, decided to suspend the sit-at-home order to a later date, to allow the students take their exams.
“Allowing the sit-at-home to go ahead as earlier announced, in the face of the NECO Exam would amount to assisting enemies of Biafra to inflict more injuries on her children.
“As a group fighting for the liberation of her people from oppression from her enemies, we realized that it would amount to assisting the said enemies to inflict more harm on our children if we do not suspend the sit-at-home order to allow Biafra students take their exams.
“The sit-at-home order has not been cancelled, but only suspended for the sake of Biafra students taking this year’s NECO Exam. IPOB global family members and Biafrans at large to await further directives in this regard.”