Manchester City, Wigan charged for failing to control players

Sergio Aguero

The English Football Association has charged Manchester City and Wigan Athletic for failing to control their players during Monday’s FA Cup fifth-round match in which the third-tier side pulled off a huge shock.

Wigan won 1-0 at the DW Stadium but the result was not obtained without many incidents on both sides.

Players from both teams were involved in a clash after Manchester City midfielder, Fabian Delph, was sent off in the 45th minute for a sliding challenge on Max Power.

The clubs have until Friday to respond to the FA charge.

Wigan beat the runaway English Premier League leaders with a late goal from talismanic striker Will Grigg.

Both clubs have also been asked for their observations regarding the crowd trouble at the end of the game.

Reports however have it that Manchester City’s Argentina striker, Sergio Aguero, would not face any disciplinary action over his post-match confrontation with a fan.

Wigan said they would conduct a full investigation after some ugly scenes followed the final whistle, with missiles thrown and fans hurling advertising boards onto the pitch.

“We appreciate that the vast majority of supporters who ran onto the pitch did so spontaneously to celebrate a famous victory.

“We were disappointed with the action of a minority of supporters who acted in an inappropriate manner,” Wigan chief executive Jonathan Jackson said in a statement.

“Player and staff safety is of paramount importance and we will conduct a full investigation.

“However, it is important to not let the actions of a few supporters detract from an incredible night at the DW Stadium.

“A special atmosphere was created by both sets of supporters and the match was yet another memorable day in the history of Wigan Athletic.”

Wigan, who will next host Southampton in the quarter-finals, beat Manchester City 1-0 in the 2013 FA Cup final.

They also knocked them out in the sixth round of the competition the following season.