President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday extended heartfelt commiserations to the government and people of Yobe State on the death of at least 47 students killed in a bomb attack on Potiskum earlier in the day.
The commiseration comes as Jonathan prepares for his presidential declaration in Abuja on Tuesday, November 11.
A statement signed by Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Reuben Abati, said “Jonathan also conveys his deepest sympathies to all parents who lost their beloved children in the heinous attack on the Government Science Secondary School which appears to have been carried out by a suicide bomber.
“The President condemns the dastardly murder of the students on their school’s assembly ground as they prepared to begin another week of study in pursuit of a better life for themselves and their families.
“He assures the grieving parents and people of Yobe state that no matter how long it takes, the Federal Government will ensure that all those responsible for the senseless murder of so many promising youngsters and the continuing acts of terrorism across the country are brought to justice and made to pay for their atrocious crimes.”
In spite of embarrassing inaction and setbacks in the war against terror, Jonathan, the statement said the Jonathan administration “remains fully committed to winning the war against insurgency and terrorism.
“Nigeria, President Jonathan affirms, will ultimately overcome the current security challenges imposed by domestic terrorists and their foreign allies, with the dedication of its Armed Forces and national security agencies, as well as the continued support and cooperation of all patriotic citizens.”