I didn’t kill Usifo Ataga, Chidinma Ojukwu recants

Super TV CEO Usifo Ataga suspected killer Chidinma

Chidinma Ojukwu, the prime suspect in the alleged murder of the chief executive officer of Super TV, Usifo Ataga, has made a U-turn after saying she killed the media personality.

Ms Ojukwu, in a video played on Tuesday before Justice Yetunde Adesanya of a Lagos High Court sitting at TBS, backtracked on her previous ‘confession’ of stabbing Mr Ataga in the neck, ribs and stomach.

The defendant also denied knowing who killed him, adding that she found his corpse on the floor.

Ojukwu suggested that while she was out of the short-let apartment where she and Ataga wined, dined, did illegal drugs and had sex, someone entered the room and killed him.

The court on October 11, 2022, watched a video recording of Ojukwu confessing to stabbing Ataga, all by herself because he was bothering her “for more sex.”

According to the Lagos State Government which is prosecuting them, the alleged murder took place on June 15, 2021, at 19, Adewale Oshin Street, Lekki Phase 1, Lagos.

At the resumption of proceedings, a video recording showed Ojukwu responding to the question of why she denied knowing the deceased.

“I did not say that I didn’t know him, I said I did not kill him, I cannot kill somebody,” she said.

On why she said the blood stains on her clothes were from her period, Ojukwu insisted that she could not have killed anyone.

“I don’t know who came in after I left the room. When I came back, I saw him (Ataga) bleeding. I had to leave because I was scared, I did not kill him, I don’t know who killed him,” she said.

Asked why she did not call for help, the defendant emphasised that she was scared.

Ojukwu denied ordering for banned substances ‘Loud’ (a cannabis variant) and Rophynol, adding that Ataga ordered them while she merely went to receive them from a dispatched rider.

When the defendant was asked why she took the deceased’s two iPhones and a Mac laptop, she said they were among her things when she hurriedly left out of fear.

The case was adjourned till October 20 for the continuation of trial.