Following the panic traffic build-up along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway as a result of alleged “closure” of the road, the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing has clarified that there is only a diversion on the road and not a full closure.
In a statement Friday, the ministry, said Julius Berger Nigeria Plc, the contractors handling the road, only diverted the Lagos-bound side, from Shagamu interchange to Kilometre 37, to the Ibadan-bound side to enable it lay final layer of asphalt wearing course on the Lagos side.
The statement said contrary to the traffic advisory on a “closure” attributed to the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), the diversion was necessary to enable Julius Berger use the double finishers at the same time thereby avoiding cold joints.
While urging motorists to be patient and tolerant in order to ensure orderly traffic management, the statement said the company had promised to carry out the job quickly in order to reopen the side of the road on which the diversion had been effected.
FRSC Sector Commander in Ogun, Clement Oladele on Thursday in Abeokuta said Julius Berger will temporarily close a section of the expressway by the Sagamu interchange from November 3 to 12 to effect repair.