American singer, Demi Lovato, was hospitalised on Tuesday for a suspected drug overdose.
According to reports by TMZ, the Mexico-born singer – who has fought substance abuse for several years – overdosed on Tuesday morning at her home in Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles.
The Los Angeles Police Department confirmed they had received an emergency call for a 25-year-old woman who lives in Lovato’s area at 11.39am.
However, her representatives have confirmed that she is awake and recovering with her family.
“Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers and support,” Lovato’s representative said in a statement on Tuesday evening.
“Some of the information being reported is incorrect and they respectfully ask for privacy and not speculation as her health and recovery is the most important thing right now.”
The statement provided no details as to what led to the US pop singer’s hospitalisation.
Lovato has spoken openly about her history of drug and alcohol abuse.
She indicated in a new song released last month she had relapsed after six years of sobriety.
On the song ‘Sober,’ she sings the lyrics: “Momma, I’m so sorry I’m not sober anymore/And daddy please forgive me for the drinks spilled on the floor.”