The body of former Chelsea and Newcastle United footballer Christian Atsu has been found under the rubble of the building where he lived in Turkey, his agent has said.
Atsu had been missing since earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria on February 6.
“Atsu’s lifeless body was found under the rubble,” Murat Uzunmehmet told reporters in Hatay, where the player’s body was found.
“Currently, more items are still being taken out. His phone was also found.”
The 31-year-old Ghanaian had been scheduled to fly out of southern Turkey hours before the quake, but Hatayspor’s manager said on Friday the Ghanaian opted to stay with the club after scoring the game-winning goal in a Super Lig match on February 5.
A statement from the representative of Atsu, Nana Sechere, said: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning.
“My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.
“I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time.”