The Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission (LASIEC) will on Saturday conduct local government elections across the state.
Here are six things to know about the exercise.
- There will be restriction of movement across the state from 7am to 3pm
- Over 30,000 policemen and other security personnel will provide security during the elections.
- The elections will usher in new chairmen and councillors in the 20 local government and 37 local council development areas in the state.
- Twelve political parties are contesting the elections. They include All Progressives Congress (APC), People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Kowa Party (KP), Labour Party (LP), Accord Party (AP) and the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA). Others are United Democratic Party (UDP), Action Alliance (AA), Alliance for Democracy (AD), United Progressive Party (UPP), People’s Democratic Movement (PDM), and the National Action Council (NAC).
- 1,300 candidates across all parties will contest for the chairmanship and councillorship positions.
- LASIEC has fixed run-off/re-run elections for Saturday, July 29.