Man, children, others die after eating dog meat in C’River

dog meatA man, his two children and two other persons have died after eating dog meat in a village in northern Cross River State, PM News has reported.

The tragedy, according to the paper, occurred after the victims ate the meat of a dog that had been sick in the village of Uchenyim, Wanikade, North Ukelle.

The man reportedly killed the dog which was ill and was about to die. But instead of throwing it away, he decided to feast on it with his two sons and other persons.

An eye witness in the area, Ugbem Onawo, said the dog always ate the eggs laid by chickens in the village and one of the villagers allegedly laced the eggs laid by his chicken with Gamalin 20 insecticide.

“The dog ate the eggs and fell ill and when it was about to die the owner quickly killed and prepared it into a delicacy which he, his family and some neighbours ate,” Onawo, a villager narrated.

The source said though many fell sick after eating the meat, those who died also ate the intestines of the dog where incidentally the poison from the Gamalin 20 is lodged.

According to him, when they became very ill they were taken to the local health centre for medical attention but were confirmed dead on arrival at the health centre.

Frank Ugbem, the councillor representing Wanikade Ward in Yala Local Government Council legislature described the tragedy as painful.

He said he has sent a delegation to console the bereaved families, adding that the dead have been buried.