Court fixes date for trial of Obiano over alleged N4bn fraud

Willie Obiano
Willie Obiano

The Federal High Court in Abuja has fixed November 25, for the continuation of trial in the alleged N4 billion money laundering case involving former Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano.

Justice Mohammed Umar set the new date after presiding over several other matters on Thursday and rising without taking the case.

The matter was mentioned briefly and adjourned for trial to begin formally in November.

Mr Obiano, who governed Anambra State from March 2014 to March 2022, is facing a nine-count charge brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

He is accused of misappropriating over N4 billion from the state treasury during his tenure, particularly through questionable security vote disbursements.

The case was previously handled by Justice Inyang Ekwo, who had scheduled May 26, for further hearing.

However, it was reassigned to Justice Umar following a directive from the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice John Tsoho, issued on May 18.

Justice Umar, formerly of the Enugu division, did not sit on May 26 and the matter was rescheduled for July 24 before being further adjourned.

At earlier proceedings before Justice Ekwo, the EFCC called several witnesses, including Ugochukwu Otubelu, a former staff member of a commercial bank who managed Anambra’s security vote account during Obiano’s administration.

Otubelu testified that the account was operated by two key government officials, Obiano’s former principal secretary, Willy Nwokoye and accountant, Theophilus Nweze.

He said large sums were moved into the accounts of six companies, none of which were the direct account holders.

Also testifying was Hayatu Hadejia, a Bureau De Change (BDC) operator, who told the court that he ran multiple BDC firms and was invited by the EFCC during its investigation into Obiano’s financial transactions.

Another BDC operator, Ayuba Tanko, said that between April and December 2017, N416 million was paid into a company’s account he managed by proxy and that he returned the funds as $1.137 million in US dollars.

Tanko admitted that the transaction was the only business he had with Anambra State and that he never interacted directly with Obiano.

He used companies such as Sauki Bureau De Change and Zigaziga Trading & Co. Ltd for the foreign exchange transactions.

The prosecution also presented three bankers who testified on financial transactions linked to the alleged laundering scheme.

Obiano’s defence team, led by Onyechi Ikpeazu, has continued to deny any wrongdoing on behalf of the former governor, who has not been personally linked to the transfers by the witnesses so far.

The trial is expected to continue on November 25, when Justice Umar will begin hearing from witnesses afresh due to the change in presiding judge.